These are the 7 steps to becoming a Habitat homeowner. Please read below to get started on your journey towards homeownership! Steps are subject to change.
- Complete a Homeowners Application form. Submit the completed application to the HFHMCO’s office @ 150 E. Race St. Troy, OH 45373.
- Our Family Selection Committee and Staff will then review your complete application and documents. If you do not meet our requirements at this time, we mail out a letter of notification.
- If your complete application and documents meet our initial requirements, we will conduct a home visit to determine your approval for our traditional homeownership program.
- Once approved you will receive a letter of notification and be asked to sign a Partnership Agreement.
- You are then eligible to start earning sweat equity hours. Each family is required to contribute at least 400 hours of sweat equity, which consists of education, community service, and building your home. Education classes are held and cover topics such as finance, home maintenance, and interior design.
- Your journey towards homeownership could be just a few months or up to two years depending on a range of factors. You will be asked to pay at least $300 upon signing your Purchase Agreement in order to cover closing costs and your first year of homeowner insurance.
- Make your house a home! After moving into your home, your monthly mortgage payments will begin. Our average homeowner pays $450 monthly for a 20 year interest free mortgage.